Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stump removal shavings

Posted by char35 TX 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 12:21

I just had 2 lg. pine tree stumps ground out. Can I do anything with the shavings and soil that was removed?
Can it be used as pine mulch? What should I not use it on?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stump removal shavings

You can definitely use those shavings as mulch altho could also dig them into the soil if you add extra nitrogen to help with decomposition.

What type of gardening do you do? I'd likely not dig them into a veggie garden as there is no way I know of to determine how much nitrogen to add and you may not have the best crop result. You'd have to watch the plants closely and add more nitrogen if they look pale and don't do well. Google "signs of nitrogen deficiency" for more info.

I'm currently experimenting with mixing shredded bark with my heavy clay soil when I plant perennials. I'm adding alfalfa pellets as a nitrogen source. Should be able to tell how successful this has been this year.

The link below was posted by someone on this forum and shows the benefits of wood chips in soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood chips dug into soil

o
RE: Stump removal shavings

Thanks for the link. Very good. I'm not using them in veggie garden. Because of all the warm weather critters we deal with, I have veggies in pots. I do have a 50' X 4' azalea bed; that I thought I might put them as a top mulch after I clean it out and feed the azaleas. Any thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here