Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlangend1120

Strange Problem - Too Many Leaves!

dlangend1120
10 years ago

I have not been here for a while, hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Apparently last fall my collection of leaf bags really was over the top. I currently turned my last fall compost pile to cook this Spring and built a new pile with most of the shredded leaves that I had used as winter mulch for perennials and the veggie garden itself. It has a generous helping of winterized kitchen scraps and finished compost to start cooking. Then the holding bin is full of not-so-shredded leaves and pine needles (will use in campfires). So after piling up the working pile up to about 3-4 feet, I still have a huge winrow of shredded leaves from the main part of the garden. I know they are not ideal as tomato mulch, but what has been your experience? I am thinking I have no other place to use them but on the veggie garden this summer until my working pile cooks down. And besides that, i have a medium-sized pile to shred from some bags of leaves that I just could not resist grabbing in January! Now, once I shred those and shred the holding bin, I might have room for more of the leaves from the garden, but basically want to know if this shredded (mostly oak) leaf mulch will have negative impact on my tomatoes?

Comments (4)