Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milk in the garden?

Posted by gardeningannie 06 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:53

Have a half gallon of spoiled milk. Can't bear to pour it down the drain. Is there a good garden use for it? Have 4X4 raised beds, composters, perennial beds and lawn and am getting ready to apply soybean meal and alfalfa to those, but don't know where to pour the milk. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milk in the garden?

Pour it in the compost. That much in a decent sized compost pile shouldn't be a problem, as long as the pile is not too wet. If you have varmint problems, it may be an attractant for a short time. Cover the pile with fresh material (leaves, etc.) which will keep odors in and critters out.

"They" say to avoid dairy in the compost, but it's not because it's not compostable, only because it can attract pests. Proceed with common sense and caution and you'll be fine.

o

The fats in milk are difficult for the bacteria in a compost pile to digest, which is why "they" recommend against putting dairy products in the compost bin.
I know someone that poured some sour milk into his compost pile and still could smell sour milk when he put that compost on his garden 6 months later.

o

On the other hand I've put bad milk on the garden and in the compost and it's soaked in instantly and not smelled at all. 1/2 US gallon is not going to make any difference. And if were to smell, isn't that preferable outdoors than down your sink? Your call.

o

sour milk actually speed composting process (from reading and my experience)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here