Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I get top soil mixed with mushroom compost for veges?

Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 13:52

I am ordering a big pile of dirt for RAISED BEDS. I'll be planting tomatoes, veges, and roses. It only cost $2 more per cubic yard (or 27 cubic feet), to have mushroom compost mixed in with top soil.

My neighbor ordered this mix last year for his lawn. His pile of top soil mixed with mushroom compost was fluffy, no weeds. Now he has the greenest lawn in the neighborhood.

I called this landscape company, they confirmed that mushrooom compost is the same as horse manure mixed with wood chips. Is this safe for veges? Would be it too alkaline for tomatoes? Thank you for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I get top soil mixed with mushroom compost for veges?

Mushroom compost can be great stuff. I had a friend use what you're describing to start a garden and it did very very well.

Generally compost will be about neutral, and there is no reason to suspect mushroom compost will not be. Without a test it's impossible to say, but I wouldn't worry about it.

o
RE: Should I get top soil mixed with mushroom compost for veges?

Thank you, toxcrusadr, for the info. I tested my neighbor's soil mix - it's less alkaline than my pH 7.7 native soil. I once ordered a pile of dirt only - it was sticky clay, and gunked up like rocks when dried out. It's nice to have mushroom compost mixed in so the soil is fluffy, rather than gunking up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here