Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost after Iron HEDTA?

Posted by leira 6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 14:15

Hi folks,

I'm finally biting off the task of attempting to return my lawn to being a lawn, rather than a big patch of weeds. To this end, I'm planning to apply iron HEDTA as a broadleaf weed killer in the form of the brand name "Iron-X." I hope it does the trick.

My question is...after I have applied this, do I need to make sure that the hopefully-dead weeds don't make it into the compost, and from there, into my garden? Or will it be OK after a rain? Is there anything else I need to know?

[For the record, it would take a lot to send me down the "Don't use Iron-X" path...there are big patches of our "lawn" where I don't think there's any grass at all, and big sections with only perhaps half grass. I've spend the last few years trying to bring the weeds under control through other means, and this is the route I'm going this year.]

Thanks, all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost after Iron HEDTA?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 17:48

I routinely compost dandelions, including dandelion roots. These are very much alive when they go into the pile, having been dug up by hand. We have a slow pile, and any weeds will spend one year being composted. I don't think that small amounts of chelated iron would have any adverse effect on your compost pile. Chelated iron is toxic if ingested orally. But I'm sure the label carries a warning.

o

OK, let me be more specific.

Apparently Iron HEDTA can kill many plants that aren't grass.

My garden contains many plants that aren't grass.

If I compost dead weeds that have been covered with Iron HEDTA, and then put the compost on my garden, will this compost kill the things in my garden?

o

Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 20:59

Iron is actually an essential plant nutrient. Chelated iron is sometimes sprayed onto plants with yellow leaves, in order to green them up. So, its all a matter of dose. Iron HEDTA, applied per the directions, results in too much iron for the weeds to metabolize. It is toxic to the plant, and it dies within 24 hours. The excess iron should be diluted, over time, in the compost pile. All you have to do is add other items, food waste, grass clippings, or shredded leaves, that have not been treated with Iron HEDTA.

o

Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 22:00

I do not think that compost made from dead weeds that were treated with Iron-HEDTA will have any adverse effect on your garden. Just add some other material, maybe shredded leaves, to your compost pile. Iron is an essential plant nutrient, it is only toxic when an overdose is applied to the plant. In this situation, I would be using a "slow compost" process, 3 months at a minimum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here