Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too early to mulch?

Posted by diannelmt 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 14:16

I'm in zone six, south central Pennsylvania. I want to start mulching now because I have chickweed and purslane and they've already taken over. These beds haven't been mulched in years and I have absolulty no much, or leaf litter or anything right now.

Someone told me that if I mulch now, that my dormant plants won't come up? Is that true? I can see most of my plants starting to emerge, I can put mulch around them. I was only going to do about 3 inches or so. Will mulch really supress my plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too early to mulch?

Mulch doesn't suppress established plants, only seedlings. If you have planted annual seeds, don't mulch over them. Otherwise, put about 4" to 6" of mulch on the beds, leaving a open circle around your emerging plants. Mulch not only helps keep weeds down, it keeps the moisture in the soil. More mulch=less watering!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 15:43

It will to the extent that the mulch would keep the soil colder, longer, which would have some small effect on how soon they would begin growing in earnest ...... and I suppose it would slightly shorten the length of the active part of the growth cycle, but it wouldn't be anything major.

Al

o

I didn't think it would have much of a dramatic impact on anything. I like mulching this time of year because I don't have to go around the plants. I spoke with a landscaper yesterday and he said that mulching now, especially for weed control would be fine.

o

I usually apply my mulch in the fall and have not seen any problem with soil warming up in the spring because of that. Mulches can keep seeds from germinating which is one of the reasons why we mulch, to suppress "weed" growth. The crocus and daffodils are popping up through the mulches right now and the primrose are blossoming and the For Get Me Nots are starting to poke up through the mulch with no problem. I'm not seeing much else but it is pretty early yet.

o

I'm thinking that I will have to mulch in the fall as well to keep this chickweed at bay.

I plan on accumulating grass clippings and leaves to use as fall mulch.

I just got started mulching today! Its a lot of mulch and I've got a lot of ground to cover!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here