Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a ''good, reliable soil test''?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 14:18

Google finds 504 places where "good, reliable soil test" has been used on this forum but I cannot find where it is described.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a ''good, reliable soil test''?

The linked site might be a pretty good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Soil tests

o

I would say it is a lab that follows the Albrecht model, others might say it is any land-grant U lab.

o

I agree, Pat.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Nice Read

o

If you like soil mineralizing you may find something here.,

Here is a link that might be useful: Body Minerals

o

I`ve been thinking of buying that soil minerals book wayne. I may see if i can get it at the library first. Does anybody here have it?

o

To me it implies sending a sample to a professional laboratory. Rather than buying an instant kit (which often don't work well or accurately), or smelling, tasting, or just looking at it, or dancing in a circle three times and sacrificing a chicken to get the answers.

o

I had a soil laboratory at university 1968 or so. I don't remember hearing "Albrecht" but reading a couple of websites that was apparently what I was taught back then.

o

So no chicken sacrifices then?

o

It's a free country so go right ahead! The chicken or any leftover parts are even compostable if done right. I'm just not recommending it for divining soil amendments. :-]

o

Check with your state universities Cooperative Extension Service office to see if they offer a soil test. Many do, some don't. Inexpensive, but reliable and your county horticultural agent should make recommendations about what might be needed based on the results.
If your state university does not there are others that will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here