Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Are Old Roots in Soil Okay in a Flower Bed?

LindaMA
16 years ago

I bought my house last July and ripped out an old Lilac bush that was way overgrown and half dead on one side. It had to come out, it was a mess. Needless to say there were hundreds of roots and I tried day after day to get rid of the majority of them. Now spring is upon us and soon I would like to plant some of the flowers I have been sowing in this bed, however, there are still lots of roots in difference places. I noticed this the other day when I was checking the soil out and outlining the bed. I thought that they would die over the winter but I was wrong.

At the end of last summer, I covered this area with layers of newspaper, grass clippings, leaves and stuff that I composted from my kitchen. I plan on adding some manure to the soil as soon as it gets a little warmner, we had snow this morning. Can I plant in this area with there still be a lot of roots underneath the soil?

Thanks in advance!

Linda

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Yes you can plant there, and there is no really good reason to remove the rest of the roots since as they are digested by the Soil Food Web they will contribute to your soil.

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Barbara - I've just discoverd an amazing new fact by looking at your video! You say comPOST like POST office! All this time I've been watching the S,C and M Forum and I never new that was how you pronounced it in the States. We say comPOST to rhyme with FROST. Well - I learn something new all the time here. As someone said, (M Twain??) 'two nations divided by a common language.'

• annpat
    16 years ago

Flora!!!! All these years??? I had no idea you were saying compost that way.

Linda, if you keep a deep mulch on that area----the newspaper, the grass clippings, the leaves that you mentioned, the lilac roots won't be able to sprout. They may crawl seeking out a thin area in the mulch or looking for a place where the mulch stops, but they shouldn't be much of a problem if discouraged by light stopping mulch.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all, I appreciate all the input, it's good to know I'm on the right track and have big plans for this area, as I've been winter sowing containers since late December!

Barbara, I love your website, what fun it is and very informative. I'm learning so much about composting and really do enjoy it.

Linda

Thanks again!
    Linda

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Annpat - Just to reassure you I CAN spell 'knew'. Typo - sorry. I once started a thread on the word 'herb' over on the relevant forum. With or without an 'H'? Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying a particular pronunciation is right or wrong. I'm just interested in the variations. (I did linguistics at uni.) Flora

p.s. Please can I stay on the forum even though I talk funny and call the whole of my plot my 'garden'.???

• annpat
    16 years ago

You sound perfectly normal to me.

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

I adore the way that Brits pronounce "aluminum". :) Language differences are fun.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

flora_uk, you're welcome here! If it helps, one of my favorite shows is TopGear on BBC America. I enjoy listening to the host speak.

• bob64
    16 years ago

No need to remove the old roots. As the roots rot they might help improve structure. Flora, since the English were using the language first I figure you are entitled to pronounce things however you see fit. My grandfather, an Aussie by birth, used to correct my mother on how to speak the "King's English". There is a fair amount of diversity in pronunciation, vocabulary and spelling throughout the English speaking world. Compare the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, and parts of India for instance. Even within the USA, I can't pass for a local in many regions.