Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greensand and other amendments

Posted by flowerchild59 z6b IL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:45

Does anyone use this item. I have purchased it in the past, and haven't used it in a number of years. Anyone have reasonable sources for this and other soil amendments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greensand and other amendments

We go to the local ag store, Agway or Blue Seal for greensand, bloodmeal, bone meal, etc.

o

Why do you think you might need greensand? Did a good reliable soil test show some nutrient deficiency that greensand might correct?
Keep in mind that any nutrients in greensand need an active Soil Food Web to release them and get them to the plants and that Soil Food Web needs organic matter to live and function in and most often adequate amounts of organic matter will supply all the nutrients plants need to grow strong and healthy.
Greensand, and rock phosphate and other similar materials, are now being considered as not sustainable materials and require too much of non renewable resources to mine.

o

Mining and powdering limestone isn't sustainable, but a lot of people will starve if we don't do it. So I wouldn't worry too much over buying some greensand. It is a fine source of slow-release K.

o

I haven't added it to my beds for at least 10 years, maybe 12 to15. I like to add it because of the trace minerals. I am going to top dress with compost as I always do.

o

It has some traces, but is mostly adding K, from what I have read. That is how it has acted for me as well. For broad-spectrum you'd be better off with a deposit like azomite.

o

I added greensand to my soil many years ago and found it made no difference in the soil tests that just adding compost would not also add. Since no real benefit was seen, in soil tests and in plant growth, I determined there was not real good reason to spend my money on the stuff.
A good reliable soil test will tell you if the soil needs any.

o

Quality compost with a variety of ingredients generally has a very good micro-nutrient content, and requires no mining, grinding or shipping. :-]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here