Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost bin costs over $2,000

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 16:09

You must see this bin I found. For this much money I want one with a heater inside. That would the ultimate trill. I could compost without having to worry about it getting hot enough. All this one does is add air so you have to turn less. I like to turn my compost. How can one be so lazy as to want this? Note: that you still have to turn with this bin, but just turn less. You can turn less if you want to turn less, just turn less.

Here is a link that might be useful: world's most expensive compost bin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost bin costs over $2,000

And it ships for FREE!

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 18:13

I read the specs and looked at the company that builds these. They claim it is for multiple families (10-15 is quoted on the site). It also seems it was mostly designed for cold climates (Finland).

Sometimes things are done differently in other parts of the world and comparing our/your situation might be a tad myopic at times.

Lloyd

P.S. I wouldn't buy one myself but if someone gave me one I'd be willing to cold weather test it. ;-)

o

While expensive ->
"Shared used from 10-15 households or restaurant use" Makes it more understandable. Who decides whom gets the most compost out of the bin? OTOH, it might be more agreeable to a HOA than a Compostumbler laying about in each backyard.
As for restaurants, I really can't see minimum wage workers sorting meat products and veggies at the end of the night with any dilligence. It's just not gonna happen. I worked in restaurants for nearly 20 years and I can say that. It's bad enough to be a dishwasher with out the boss telling you to run through the trash. No, there generally isn't room for a dedicated trash bin so that idea's out (usually).
We should be able to pick these up in a couple of years for a few hundred buck after they get tired of warehousing them.

o

I would love one for free myself to test it out, but I still think if it was Finland they should have a heater inside to keep the stuff from freezing.

o

I saw the 10 to 15 too. Guess they don't know many gardenwebbers... Some of us could and would fill 10 to 15 UNITS!

o

This is not only very expensive but it uses non renewable material to manufacture and non renewable energy sources to operate. Not something someone concerned about the environment would be very interested in.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 8:31

Which "non renewable energy sources" does it use to operate?

Where did you read that?

Lloyd

o

I bet they're a real hit with the Hammacher Schlemmer crowd. I just want to see the garden of a person who has a $2000 compost bin! That must b incredible!

Can't think of any scenario where I would spend any money to make compost, except when I need a new pitchfork.

(The "buckeye" in me wants to make a comment about MI qualifying as being "other parts of the world" but I won't let it.)

o

Finland...oughta just build a self-heating combined sauna/compost system!

Sit in the sauna, roll in the snow, dive into the compost, snow, back into the sauna. A Finnish compost wacko's dream!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here