Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda grass in compost

Posted by AZgardenNewbie 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 16:35

I am rather new to gardening and composting and need help. I have been composting for awhile and have two bins going quit well. Everything I initially read said to use grass clippings, which I have been. I live in Arizona, where bermuda grass is the main grass. We planted ryegrass this winter, so that has been going in as well. Anyway, I didn't know enough about bermuda grass and it has been added to my bins. The question I have is should I keep the compost as is, or start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda grass in compost

I think you can keep it as is, and just don't add more to the bins now that you have decided you prefer not to add that.

o

Be prepared to pull bermuda out of the beds. If it were mine, I'd seriously consider straining the compost (or semi-compost, whatever state it's in) and removing any Bermuda still intact. I might even consider using this first batch as a topdressing for the lawn, rather than take the risk of putting a bunch of Bermuda into my flower or veggie beds.

But that said, if you're willing to stay on top of weeding the Bermuda out of the beds, it's relatively easy to pull when it's young. I'd go to the extreme because I hate Bermuda that much. But your hatred may be different than mine. :-)

o

Turn the pile into hot compost. Add greens, browns, a bit of nitrogen fertilizer and turn every several days, then repeat. Turn, turn til nothing looks like plant material.

o

There are a lot of myths out there about composting Bermuda grass, but if there are not reproductive parts, just clippings, put into the compost those clippings can be a good addition. Bermuda grasses spread by both stolens and rhizomes so if bits of either get in the clippings you could spread it around via that compost, but not simply with grass clippings. If mowed regularly and properly there will be no seeds developed by the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here