Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing cover crop�organically, no-till.

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 17:00

After watching the usda series about soil health (thanks to whoever referred those vids), I have decided to try to stop tilling my veg garden, but I planted crimson clover and I need it to go away. And actually the clover barely came up so I can't just mow it up, it's barely standing out from the ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing cover crop�organically, no-till.

Looks like you may have to till.....what's so bad about tilling?

o

How about heavily mulching the garden and when it's time to plant just pull it back enough to get your plant in. I've never dealt with clover but generally lack of light will kill most plants.

o

The entire point of a cover crop is to work it back into the soil to release whatever nutrients it might have accumulated. Pretty near impossible to do without at least hand tilling.........

Just covering with some sort of mulch could work but only if you do not intend to plant the area this season. It will take time for the smothering to a) kill the plant and b) the plant actually begin to decompose.

Tilling the soil of a vegetable garden annually is not necessarily a bad thing, provided you do not over-do it. Multiple passes with a rototiller tends to destroy soil structure and create layers of hardpan. An occasional hand tilling or a single pass with a mini tiller to work in amendments or cover crop will NOT produce the same detrimental effect.

o

You can remove it by cutting it off. Depending upon the age & height of the plants, you might be able to use a heavy duty mower.

Or you might need a scythe -- old school and definitely organic.

Then you can either leave it as mulch where it will slowly degrade on the soil surface. Or you can compost it and add it back to the soil later on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here