Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a never before asked* 'can I compost this?' question

Posted by rmontcal 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 17:58

I just received a package in the post and it included two packs of desiccant.

Can I or should I compost the contents of them? Or should I use them for something else? Or should I just pitch 'em?

* Not sure about this claim...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a never before asked* 'can I compost this?' question

Certainly no expert on this, but I can't see how a desiccant would benefit a pile unless you had a continuing problem with excess moisture and were getting ongoing anerobic digestion. Maybe someone else can recomend whether it is even a good thing to put this in the pile as the chemistry of the desiccant may have an adverse effect? Doesn't sound good to me.
hortster

o

That would be "anaerobic." Sorry.
hortster

o

Synthetic probably, moisture absorbing certainly, most likely does not meet the if you would eat it test though. I'm not at all sure it would be anaerobic, however.

o

Those little packs of desiccant are useful for placing in storage containers; I use 'em in household storage boxes & for pantry items as well. I keep them from direct contact w/ foods,tho.

o

I think they are a type of silica, i.e. the same stuff as sand, and would be harmless in the compost, but would add nothing either, same as adding a handful of sand. I keep the larger ones around, bake them in the oven to re-dry when needed, and use them for storing delicate things.

o

If you gather seed from your plants, you can toss them in the 'seed box'

o

I would not add dessicant to the compost pile... I don't see how it will benefit the compost... I would do what the above post said, use it for storing things,etc.. Only thing that goes in my compost is plant matter, manure, and ground up rock...

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here