Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sand_mueller

finally got some good manure

sand_mueller
10 years ago

Horse manure straight from the stable, winters collection, from animals off pasture and fed from unsprayed hay meadow. The pile is heating beautifully; I'll turn it after three weeks and in six weeks I can screen it and use it for my potting soil. As a peat moss replacement this pick-up load is worth about $150.

Comments (3)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

If it is still that hot, it may be too hot to use unless highly diluted for potting soil.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Mix that manure with your leaves and you'll have compost in monthes instead of years

• sand_mueller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since I've been composting and making leaf mold since the 1970's and read and reread Sir Albert Howard I figured out that by creating and turning a hot pile the N is saved and weed seeds and pathogens are destroyed. I six weeks I can use this for a seed mix if I so choose.

As for leaves in a pile; I would never do that. Leaves are fermented. Manures and forbs are composted. If I wanted to plug up and slow or stop my hot compost I would put a bunch of leaves in with the manure. When is the last name horses and cattle have dropped their manure in leaf piles...they do not live and eat in the forest.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor