Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of paper to compost

Posted by minkies 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 18:55

Okay, silly question but can I shred & compost the flyers in the paper? I haven't because of the ink but am I being silly? Thanks for hopefully clearing this up for me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of paper to compost

The inks have changed. All are now safe. You can compost all paper.

Glossy kinds are often discouraged but the only "problem" is that the coating on the paper means that they will break down more slowly than will uncoated kinds.

o

Glossy paper has a high clay content that causes it to clump & be slow to decompose in the compost pile. Glossy paper & paper in general are best sent back into the recycling stream via curbside dumpster.

o

Some of those advertising fliers, with the glossy surfaces usually, will be printed with metallic inks which are then covered with lacquer to keep those inks from smearing. Hold the sheet at right angles to a light source and these lacquered areas will appear even more shiny, Those would not be good to add to your soil
Glossy paper is coated with clay, as is a lot of other printing paper although most newsprint is not, to aid in ink holdout. There is no good reason to not compost this paper even if your soil is clay. In a properly built up compost pile there should not be a problem composting even those clay coated papers.

o

thank you for clearing that up, I think I will just recycle the glossy ones and shred the normal ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here