Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My soil is all clay.

Posted by BrentK 9e (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 19:17

I live in a new construction neighborhood, and all of the soil is that nasty construction clay. What are my options for improving it? I've got grass, and I'd rather avoid digging it all up, mixing in organic matter, and reseeding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My soil is all clay.

Tining it to aerate it, dusting organic manure compost on it, watering it compost tea, leaving grass clippings on it for mulch once in awhile, don't mow it too short so it won't eat up the nutrients trying to grow back.

o

Compost, spread about 1/4 inch thick, on top of the lawn about once a month during the growing season will work. Perhaps this episode of Growing a Greener World where Paul Tukey outlines organic lawn care might be of some interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic lawn care

This post was edited by kimmsr on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 6:29

o

Or get rid of it! I can't tell where you are, but here in sunny drought ridden CA lawns aren't a good thing!
There are some forums on drought gardening here and other ideas. If you're in a place with plenty of water, there are also forums to peruse. Nancy

o

Soil is made of the mineral portion, the sand silt, or clay particles, and organic matter. If someone lives where the primary mineral is clay getting rid of that soil will be nigh onto impossible.

o

I think nancyjane was referring to getting rid of the the grass, not the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here