Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much coco coir?? How much water?? Questions!!

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 19:35

Also posted this in container gardening forum.

I went out and bought a block of coir (didn't want to deal with gritty mix) today. I plan on repotting my eranthemum nigrum from a 4" pot to a 6" pot (Could I pot it into something larger, like an 8"??). My question is how much of the brick do I need to break off and how much water do I add to it?? My other question is, if I have extra leftover after I finish potting, can I let it dry out again?? How do you store extra coir you're not using??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much coco coir?? How much water?? Questions!!

I made a mistake. I just looked at the block, and the product is actually called coco pith. This is the same as coco coir, right?? Coco coir, coco pith, cocopeat, etc. I'm so confused!! Also, let's say I want to use Al's gritty mix next year. Is it okay to try a different mix, or will I always have to use coir again??

o

I'm not sure if this is the same stuff, but we use a compressed block of coco coir for bedding in our snake tank. (Yes, we have 3 Boa constrictors as pets.) When we change it I just put the short end of the block in a shallow amount of water and when it rehydrates I break it off and kind of fluff it up with more water. If it isn't enough, I wet and repeat.

Nice benefit is that when it is time to change the bedding, the used bedding goes in the compost. I love stuff that has extended value.

o

Hey you don't need to worry about that. Coco peat, coco coir, coco pith is the same thing. It is a great growing medium for the plants. Being reusable, it can be stored and reused the next time, as well. You can soak the blocks in enough amount of water which would make the mix damp and not dripping wet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coco coir blocks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here