Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil smells like sewage

Posted by fivemurfs 6.5 TN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 19:41

Hi,
We're doing an add on and when they excavated for the foundation the dirt smelled and still smells like sewage. The contractor said that is common for dirt that has just been dug up and that when the soil dries the odor will go away. It has not dried out as we are having regular rains. Has anyone had a similar experience or heard of this explanation?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil smells like sewage

Do you have a septic system? That smell indicates anerobic bacteria, usually caused by overwet soil or compost. Caused by the bacteria working on superwet organic material.
hortster

o

I used to have this acacia tree, it made the soil smell like poop. I used to think it was my cats pooping in the soil, but then after we cut down the foul tree, the smell went away, so I knew it was the tree.

o

We've been on the sewer line since we moved here 18 years ago. If they hit an old septic tank while digging wouldn't it have been apparent to them?

o

If, for some reason your soil is wet; i.e., underground spring, heavy rains, neighbor's overwatering of lawn and drainage into your yard, etc., and it saturates highly organic soil you will get anerobic bacteria working on it. Stenchola. Drying (oxygenation) can relieve that, so your contractor may be correct if he is uncovering a situation like this.
At a place I lived (30+ years ago) my neighbors decided to line their 10' diameter, wire fence enclosed compost pile with a double layer of visqueen plastic (still don't know why), then water the heck out of it to get it to break down. Created a miasmiatic swamp. Whoa. Same severe stenchola. I snuck over with an icepick and pummelled the whiz out of their plastic at the bottom for drainage. Then I was able to breathe and leave my windows open at night. I'm sure they still think they did the right thing - oops, true confessions...;)
hortster

o

Soils lacking air, anaerobic soils, often will have an aroma reminiscent of sewage. That has nothing to do with having a septic tank or drain field nearby, it is the odor the anaerobic bacteria emit. Wet soils can smell the same.

o

We've never had a drainage problem on our property, but it's understandable that wet soil piled up in mounds with rain puddles in low spots could create swampy, sewer like conditions. Hopefully as the soil dries out and is redistributed the odor will go away. Thank you all for your input.

o

Horster,they're probably bragging how effective that compost was to this very day.lolo

bon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here