Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mice in compost

Posted by sweet.tater 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 19:48

My compost bin is in my backyard, 4 x 4, made of cedar wood slats. I turned it a couple of days ago and saw a mouse run out. As I continued to turn it, I noticed little pink baby mice. I looked on the web and read that it was important to kill them, so I killed the 3 babies that I could find and continued turning. Feeling traumatized by the killing of the baby mice, it did not occur to me to remove them from the bin. I am concerned that this compost is no longer safe to use in my vegetable garden because of the dead babies.

My question for you is: Should I remove all of the compost and dispose of it and start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mice in compost

You just turned the pile so that is the first & most important step for getting rid of unwanted guests in the pile.
Provided there is ample moisture, a good mix of green/brown matl. & the pile is 3x3x3 roughly, those baby mice will disappear in no time. At some point every composter experiments with bones & meat in small quantity. The result is simply compost & some added trace minerals.
Hope that helps.

o

Thank you!

o

I empathise with your baby mice killing trauma.
And yes, they make great compost.
I don't turn my piles often and have traps set permanently-
less adults means less babies and less trauma!
I've buried 12 cockerel carcasses in a good hot compost pile, and they'd basically vanished when I turned it the week after.
Just an example, but the compost mantra 'if it has lived, it can live again' definitely applies...

o

Maggots or other insects will take care of the baby mice flesh. As for the bones, they should decay also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here