Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correcting Fertilizer mistake before planting

Posted by wlynnp_TN 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 20:14

I have a 4 x 50 bed that I am preparing for spring planting. I've added organic matter and composted horse manure already. I have a friend who has chickens and she gave me about 2 pounds of chicken manure after cleaning out the coop. I didn't know anything about chicken manure, but I thought, since it will be at least a month before I plant that it would decompose enough that it would be ok to use, so I went ahead and spread it out on the bed. now I'm reading that it should be composted at least 90 days before use. It's only been on the bed a few days. If I am able to rake the majority of up and remove it, will this be enough to make it safe to plant in a month? is there something else I can do to correct any problem I've created?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correcting Fertilizer mistake before planting

2lbs of chicken manure spread over a 4x50 bed isn't a whole lot so there shouldn't be much of a "burn" factor from excess nitrates/salts/etc. Also, that small amount spread over 4x50 should become safer a lot quicker than composting a pile as long as it's at/near the surface.

Wash your produce, it'll be fine. Be careful to wash any quick harvested green/leafy stuff well. Fruiting stuff should be much easier, and really not of much concern unless it's at/on ground level (like many squash types).

You might want to wear gloves and/or wash your hands immediately after gardening to lessen the chance of contaminating yourself with any possible germs even if it's a small chance.

Long story short, that amount of chicken manure over that much space isn't a huge deal to worry about...especially giving a month to sit around at/near the surface.

o

The time after applying manure to a garden refers to harvesting not planting. Produce grown above ground should not be harvested for 90 days after the manure is applied while produce growing in the ground should not be harvested for 120 days after because of potential disease pathogens.

o

ok. Great! Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here