Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pond water enough greens for compost pile

Posted by athom68439 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 20:41

Hi. I'm new to composting. During the recent winter cleanup in our yard, I've gotten a lot of browns (chopped leaves and wood chips)but really no greens. I want to get this compost going. If I added pond water (from our three acre pond) plus some black strap molasses to the mix would that be enough green? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pond water enough greens for compost pile

The water itself may not be ideal, but the green things growing in it may be. What you need is a source of nitrogen, and water, while it is a vehicle for nitrogen sources, is not one itself. You also risk creating a pile that is too wet, which will slow things down. If your pond has a lot of vegetation, or algae, that would certainly be good to add.

o

As bi11me stated the algae and pond weeds would be a good addition while only enough of the water from the pond to slightly moisten the rest of the material would be of help. Too much water dispaces the air the bacteria that digest the high carbon material need to work. They also need Nitrogen (protein) to function, but only just enough of that also, 30 parts Carbon to 1 part Nitrogen, or close to that.
This composting tutorial may be of some help.
The leaves could be 40 to 80 parts C to 1 part N and the wood chips could be 400 to 600 to 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tutorial

o

Run off to Walmart and buy some stupid alfalfa rabbit pellets. Toss them into a coffee or herb blender until powdered. Throw some of those with regular greens into the compost as well as the molasses. I've had to do this on occasion just because it needed to get to burning before the critters found it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here