Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

The neighbors mowed their lawn!

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

It's finally mowing time in our area and I told my new neighbors when they started to mow their lawn, I would be happy to take their clippings! (former neighbors didn't treat with anything, and these guys are lucky to realize they HAVE a yard!)
I went today to get a wagon full just to let them know I was doing something, and found that they had also chopped up a bunch of leaves that were mixed with the leaves!
We all know what THAT means! STEAMING pile! Way too much grass, but I found 2 large bags of chopped leaves and dumped them all into the compost container and added water!
Will mix all tomorrow and giggle at my find! Nancy

Comments (8)

• klem1
    10 years ago

""they had also chopped up a bunch of leaves that were mixed with the leaves! "

It realy spoils my day to find a bunch chopped up leaves mixed with a bag of leaves. ( :

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

score

This recipe (leaves + grass clippings) makes up >90% of my compost pile.

I really wish i had a shredder, but until then, I'll just use my bagging mower.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right! You don't want to mix leaves with leaves! ;)

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I hope you asked a very important question first.

Do the neighbor have a lawn service spray your lawn, and with what? (Hardly anyone knows what is sprayed on their lawn, maybe some folks in this forum)

Does the neighbor himself spray any weedkiller or other products? And the same question about the neighbor's neighbors.

For the last two years I have been taking one neighbors leaves in the fall. Come to find out he brings home industrial type sprays because the 'stuff in the garden store is not strong enough'.

My tomato crop was better in the first five years, over the last five years. And this might be one reason why.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Robert,the fact anyone would catch clippings and ship them off site is reason enough to be suspecious of them.
    My neighbor mows over an acre and a half with a lawn tractor then rakes the clippings and hauls them to the landfill where they charge a fee for leaves,clippings and tree trimmings in an effort to discourage disposing of them.
    One only needs to compare my place with his to see if mulching back onto the ground is benificial. I am of the opinion that if everyone recycled 100% of their yard waste and watered responsibly,it could solve our water crisis and beautify in the process,

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

I don't have specific data to prove it, but it seems like leaves should not have carry a large burden of stuff you're putting on the lawn. First of all it's not sprayed on the trees. I suppose herbicides could go into the soil and be absorbed by tree roots, but If the trees picked up an effective dose, wouldn't the trees be damaged or killed? When you consider those factors, then you compost the leaves along with other materials, the likelihood of having herbicide problems with the compost seems small. Not impossible, but unlikely.

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

tn gardening i tried to find your email but can't i have a shredder in north ms. wheeler57@hotmail.com

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They do not use anything on their lawn. Nor did the people who planted it about 8 years ago. Nor do the neighbors. We're in the country and there are only 4 houses close, so we know what we do in our yards. ;) Nancy