Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mousekabob

Terracing a steep hill

mousekabob
17 years ago

One of the problems in my garden is that the hill out front (I the only area I have in the sun) is a very steep hill. Right now, it's covered with English Ivy, fox grape and poison ivy. (Luckily we're not allergic to the latter)

Does anyone have any good information on what materials to use to terrace? I was thinking of starting an area using cedar planks, and some type of post system to hold it in place. Then filling it in with compost and other yard waste, (lasagna gardening sort of) so it can be planted next year. Then terracing the layer below that too for next year, which is already planted with Sunflowers. Then moving up the hill over the years until its all usable space. This way too, if I make the terrace at least a foot to 10 inches deep, I donÂt have to dig into the heavy clay of the hill!!!

Where does one also get cedar planks? Someplace like Home Depot? I donÂt want to use Railroad ties because they are too heavy for me to handle by myself. Sorry to babble on semi-incoherently. ThatÂs what happens when I try to think and type at the same time.

Comments (4)