Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know how to grow Morels?

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 1:41

As the title says, what are the best conditions for Morel mushrooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know how to grow Morels?

create an environment they like.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing morels

o

How to get morel mushrooms:
1. Get an old timer, who knows where they are, to drink moonshine with you all afternoon.
2. Once he is tipsy, ask him where his secret place to find morels is. Offer him more moonshine if he'll tell you.
3. Sneak into his secret place and get the morels before he has recovered from his afternoon with you.

That's how we do it in West Virginia, anyway.

o

Yep. They just don't grow on command like some mushrooms will. If people knew how to cultivate them, they would be available in a box in the produce aisle, instead of having to look for them in the woods or pay $15/lb at the farmer's market. :-]

o

Morels are maddening. Every spring people come onto our property asking if they can look for morels. I see them walking off with lots of 'em, but can never find a one.

o

josko -- that's not fair!
Next time follow them wearing cammo.

o

My friend who owns river bottom property next to a former RR, now bike trail, catches people all the time who walk right past the No Tresspassing signs. He asks them if they saw the signs and they say "Yeah, but it's mushroom season!" He's like, duh, all the more reason to keep out because I want my own damn mushrooms! He's started to actually confiscate bags of them when he catches people. Some people just don't seem to have the concept of private property clearly in their minds.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 9:16

And then there are the adult(?) bicycle riders in Madison who routinely ignore stop signs and traffic lights, as they make their way through traffic. Signs are for losers...

o

I know a lot of cyclists who are very frustrated with that kind of cyclist, because motorists get mad at all of them for the actions of a few idiots. Unfortch, neither misbehaving cyclists nor mushroom thieves may be legally composted in most states.

o

elisa_Z5, you cracked me up with your moonshiner tale. Thanks for the laugh!

--McKenzie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here