Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do i do with this sh#&

Posted by myro54 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 3:04

I aquired some horse manuer from a farm down road last summer. (she said it is free of chemicals and other horse medical stuff) Anywho I put it in a trash bin, (the big ones that has wheels and lid. it has been sitting in that garbage can ever since. Every once and awhile I pour some water in it. but have yet to stir it.

What should I do with it, how do i finish composting it or is it ready and if so how can i tell? and lastly I have a large and very full garden. How do i put it in my garden without burning plants. I cant really dig around all plants cause there is too many or they are too close together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do i do with this sh#&

What was mixed in with that manure?
You may have a bin of aged manure if there was nothing much more then manure in there but if there was 1 part manure to 3 parts vegetative waste you could have some compost.
The manure could be spread on a planting bed, although it would be better if 3 times as much vegetative waste was added at that time if all there is is manure.

o

A compost bin should always have holes in it to allow air in and drainage to escape. A perfectly balanced pile with the right moisture and air can become compost in several months with a couple of turnings. You may or may not have compost yet. If it was mixed with some bedding like sawdust or wood chips, it may have done just fine.

Dump it out and look at it and smell it. If it's very wet and smells bad, it needs to be mixed with some browns (dried leaves, shredded paper, straw, sawdust) and allowed to finish in a pile.

If there was bedding and you still see a lot of that (sawdust or straw etc.), mix with some greens (grass clippings, kitchen scraps etc.), moisten and pile up to continue composting.

If it seems crumbly and looks and smells like compost (earthy rather than poopy), dig it into the garden. It only takes a few months for the bad bacteria to dissipate and you're already beyond that, if it had enough air supply.

o

I've planted transplants directly in fresh horse manure and they've flourished.

Just put some of the manure in a pot and stick a some transplants in it. Your plants will tell you if its good for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here