Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parrot Feather Into Compost?

Posted by holly_bc Zone 7B VanIsle (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 5:04

Our pond had become over-run with parrot feather and we seriously need to get it out of there. I'm wondering if it will cause some other problem if we put it in our composting bins?? While I know it as a water/pond plant, I really don't want it popping up in the garden.
Whaddaya think?
Thanks H

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parrot Feather Into Compost?

While Parrot Feather, or Parrotfeather ("Myriophyllum aquaticum"), might need water to get started it is considered an invasive species since it can root along its stem and it spreads that way. Like many other former aquatic plant species this has adapted to growing on just moist soils. You can compost this, as long as it is well buried in the compost pile so it has no access to sunlight.

o

Thanks so much kimmsr for replying. Our compost bins and piles do not get much sunlight. That said I'm not sure I want to take chances. If I can clean out the big one, then maybe I'll put some boughs down (of which I have MANY) and put the PF on top of that. Then throughout spring and summer re-pile it all up with other garden stuff as the seasons go by. There must be major good nutrients in it so I guess it would be a good thing to add to a compost pile but I surely don't want it appearing anywhere else!

Your reply much appreciated.

o

Keep in mind that sunlight is not a necessary component of the composting process. Some people think sunlight is needed to get the material to heat up but that is not true. Bacterial activity causes that heat generation when the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio, moisture level, and amount of air in the mix are about right. Different bacteria work at different temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here