Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shredded leaves as mulch?

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 7:21

Will un-composted shredded leaves leach the soil of nitrogen, like bark chips are said to do? I have been mulching with composted cow manure which I buy by the yard, but as the garden expands it is getting expensive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shredded leaves as mulch?

Any N robbing happens at the soil surface, so it's minimal. If you live in an area that has earthworms, you'll find them at the juncture of soil/leaves, esp. if is damp. So that's a bonus.
Pile 'em on.

o

My garden thrives on shredded leaf mulch..like Alphonse said, pile it on!

Pam

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 0:12

I agree, I mulch every year & never add additional nitrogen.
But if it makes you sleep better, get some slow release organic nitrogen to put on the mulch.
Ether way, pile it on, mulch that is.

o

Because the sand I have for soil cannot hold much moisture without a lot of help I pile on the shredded leaves for mulch and the plants I grow thrive because those shredded leaves help retain soil moisture (in the root zone), help keep the soil cooler (which slows evaporation), helps suppress "weed" growth (does not totally eliminate it), and adds needed organic matter to the soil (which also helps the sand with moisture retention).
There will be no Nitrogen robbing because of the material you put on your soil as mulch contrary to what many people have been told. The research I have seen used to support this misconception has always had the mulch material mixed in to the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here