Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not near foundation?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 8:08

I am enjoying using 2 side by side 'residential' composters (each 14 cu ft in capacity) that are positioned about 25 feet out the back of my home in the garden. However I can easily foresee the time when both will be filled with material but not fully composted. I would like to set up another one but the only placement for it would be right out the side door (convenient for the winter) but right up against one of the the outside brick walls of the house (and on top of brick interlock).

As far as I can see right now my only concern is the attraction of ants too close to our home. I so do dislike seeing such creatures inside our house.

Is this a realistic concern? Are there other issues with such a close proximity?

So is it not a good idea overall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not near foundation?

Not only ants but depending on your climate there can be a whole host of insects that help turn stuff into compost. They are fine in the compost but not necessarily in the house. That said, you can try it and move it if you have troubles with bugs. It should not touch the house but a couple feet away should be OK.

I don't know how you're using your existing bins, but a multi bin system is best if you can turn each batch into the next bin, always put new stuff in the same bin, and get finished compost out of the last one in the row. If you do that turning it will also get done faster. If there is any way to shoehorn the 3d one next to the others you could use them together that way and maybe increase your throughput.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 13:14

Any leachate may stain the interlocking bricks.

Lloyd

o

Staining of the interlock on the footprint of the composter is not an issue.

o

During the digestion phase a properly made compost pile will not be attractive to ants or other, similar, critters. A properly made compost pile will not have any leachate, something that indicates there is too much water in the mix and the material will then anaerobically be digested and smell terrible.
In my expereince the presence of ants in compost indicates the material is too dry and the presence of the larva of many other insects, or pill bugs, millipedes, etc. indicates the material is too wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here