Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peat moss, what to do with it?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 8:14

I inherited a bale of peat moss, Put it in the garden or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peat moss, what to do with it?

If you put it in the garden, you must thoroughly soak it first or it will repel water forever. Soak it in a wheelbarrow and stir it.

o

You can use it as a component in your own potting soil mix, add to your compost or amend the soil in any planting area. It is especially useful in amending the soil for acid-loving plants like blueberries, rhododendrons, gardenias, camellias, etc.

The hydrophobic or water-repelling properties are most often encountered when trying to use peat moss as a mulch, which I wouldn't recommend. Typically peat moss - unless exposed to sun and other drying conditions - already has a moisture component that allows it to be incorporated into the soil without presoaking. But if you think it's too dry, by all means, go ahead and rehydrate.

o

I'm surprised to hear that, because pre-wetting peat was standard advice when I was growing up as a gardener. I had an experience once, which seemed to verify the advice; for years after I dug in a bale of peat once in a new garden, I would encounter large pockets of peat in my soil that were as dry and powdery as the day I dug it in. I've been repeating the advice ever since.

o

As annpat said presoaking is nothing new. You want the peat as wet as the soil you are adding it to so if the sol is dry then the peat can be mixed in dry then soak. Yes peat is good for its acidic ways. I think it is 4.5 so dont add too much unless you have low ph wanting plants.

o

I guess I will soak it and put it in my compost pile. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here