Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my compost ready?

Posted by bethardern z5OH (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 9:10

I am new to composting. I built a pile in early Feb. I layered chopped leaves, cow manure, bedding straw, soil and lots of kitchen scraps. The pile got nice and hot during March but is now cold. The only material identifiable is the straw and an occaisional eggshell. Is this pile ready or do I just need to get the pile hot again? I'd really like to use it now but don't want to risk buring my new plants with the manure component. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my compost ready?

I would suggest turning it. If it heats up again then it wasn't done. If there are anaerobic stinky spots then turning it will expose those to oxygen.

I also suggest buying a compost thermometer at least 18 inches long. The thermometer will tell you what is happening in the core of the pile.

Nancy in western Oregon

o

When a compost pile is done:

You can't tell what the ingredients were
dark brown in color
slight earthy smell

I suspect that this being your first pile, the composting slowed down rather than was completed.

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 18:58

There are some rudimentary tests one can try. Not absolutely conclusive but a negative result tells a lot.

One such link;

Simple methods of evaluating compost quality and maturity

Lloyd

o

Thank you for your help. After the first response I turned the entire pile. In 2 days it was warm again, not steaming as before but at least warm. Thank you for the link. That was helpful. I really want to use my own compost for summer planting as I have had to use bagged for all the spring planting. Is ther any use in working partially composted materials into soil or had I just better wait?

o

There are those that will state emphatically that unfinished compost should never, ever be put in a garden that the undigested material will "rob" your soil of Nitrogen because the soil bacteria will get busy and finish digesting that leaving little available N for your plants. That will depend on how much undigested material there is and many of us do have some of that unless we screen that compost. Also whether to do that is related to when you will be planting. If this compost were to be worked into the soil 4 to 6 months before anything would be planted there it makes little difference, but if you are going to plant seedlings a few days afterwards that could. Working that compost into the soil and then seeding that soil may not be a problem. Then again it depends on how good a soil you have to start with.
Sorry if all that seems a bit equivacable but there are too many variables.

o

I can tell you what I'd do with that compost if it were mine. I'd be spreading it all over my garden and forking it in, or I'd be applying it around my favorite plants as mulch. And I'd have done it yesterday when the weather was so beautiful here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here