Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of mulch for a large area with tree swing

Posted by Nissan1147 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:01

I'm not sure what type of mulch I should use. We have a large mulched area, approx 25' x 30', around a large maple tree in our front yard that see moderate foot traffic. The area has some perennial type plants (I have no idea what they are) but is mostly open mulch. Last year I hung a nice tree swing, that hangs about 5' from the trunk, that is used heavily by both my and the neighborhood kids. Additionally, this mulched area is also used as a path to the neighbors house.

Since this area is in the front of our house and we live in a nice area I want it to look good; however, I also need it to be able support a bunch of kids constantly walking/playing on it. What type of mulch would you recommend? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of mulch for a large area with tree swing

I would probably go with rubber mulch or pebbles like at some playground where the kids play. You don't need it to break down to feed the surrounding area as much as you need it to withstand the traffic and possibly reduce the required maintenance from you, year after year.

o
RE: Type of mulch for a large area with tree swing

I would put down shredded wood mulch.
Less maintenance and much easier to get rid of if you change your mind or the tree comes down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here