Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground out willow tree stump

Posted by mungodaisy none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 10:07

I've had a large willow tree stump ground out by a machine. Most of the waste was taken away but am left with about a sq metre of very soft soil with a lot of remaining finely ground stump in it. Should I mulch/add compost? Will the stump residue change the ph? When can I replant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground out willow tree stump

The wood will probably not change the pH much, but it will deplete soil nitrogen for awhile as it decomposes. Compost and/or fertilizer would be a good thing if you plan to plant in it. Unless it is mostly fresh wood chips, you could probably plant now. Just keep an eye on your plants for nitrogen deficiency and give them some liquid fertilizer if it appears.

o

Actually, you need to add "greens" containing nitrogen to help the fresh wood to break down. Coffee grounds, fresh grass clippings, even urea fertilizer can provide N.
I wouldn't replant until a lot of the wood has broken down since it steals N from the soil during the wood decomposition process (and keeps it from plants).
hortster

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 14:37

How deep did they grind it?

You may be seeing that Willow again.

One that I grew up with was cut down about ten years ago and the stump ground.
Now it is back and about twenty feet high.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here