Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting old grass clippings and ashes

Posted by hibiscusfan 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 10:55

I had a large pile of grass clippings from last summer and I tried to burn them. About half to three fourths burned but now I have a mix of ashes and wet grass and leaves. Can I till them both into my garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting old grass clippings and ashes

Ashes can be quite alkaline at least for a short time until it leaches away. If your pH is already high I would not put ashes into the soil. If your soil is acidic it probably won't hurt.

Typically it's not a good idea to till uncomposted stuff directly into the soil in spring because breakdown can temporarily deplete nitrogen. Grass clippings are high in nitrogen though so it might be OK. I have not tried this so I'm guessing. I normally use grass clippings mixed with last year's leaves as a summer mulch for the garden. By fall it has broken down and disappeared.

You should really use a mulching mower and recycle those clippings back into the lawn, or mix them with some browns (leaves, straw, sawdust, wood chips, newspaper shreds) and compost them. Your soil will thank you. :-]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here