Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Organic soil south of Chicago

Posted by lweberg IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 10:59

I'm looking for a place that I can either pick up, or have delivered a fairly large amount (15-20 yards) of Organic soil for my veggie garden...any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Organic soil south of Chicago

Iweberg,

Google "Organic Soil Chicago"; 1.4 million hits. Others may have suggestions on what to look out for...

Blutranes

o

Could you define what you mean by "organic soil"?

Taken literally there is no such thing. All soil is organic but may contain some elements you might consider undesirable. Do you mean compost perhaps or a soil-less mix of some kind? Or are you looking for soil that has already been certified as "organic" as in approved for use by certified organic growers (if there is such a thing)?

Dave

o

You do not want something called "Organic soil" since you already have lots of that. What you do need is organic matter, things such as compost, leaf mold, shredded leaves, any vegetative waste except probably Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac. Anything you buy that contains "soil" will be 95 percent of what you already have, the mineral portion of soil, and about 5 percent of what you need, organic matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here