Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick question about bagged leaves

Posted by Rock_n_Ruf 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 11:39

Hello everyone!
About two years ago, I bagged four huge bags of leaves and put them under my work bench and forgot about them...
I need that room now and was wondering if they would serve any purpose after sitting that long in plastics bags? I didn't dig into them but the top few inches are really dry...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick question about bagged leaves

Try turning the question around - what else can you do with four bags of leaves apart from add to your garden or compost heap? Even supposing they had hardly any value for the garden (which is not the case) it would still be better than sending them to landfill.

o

Lol! It takes a briliant mind to word it that way!

o

Leaves, even leaves that have been bagged for a while, are a good nutrient source for a garden or lawn. Use them as mulch, compost them, mulch mow them into your grass, but do not toss them out and waste those nutrients.

o

Watch this video. Entertaining and informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: everything we know about composting is wrong

o

Now that was a good watch!
samdelok, thank you so much for posting that video! Definitely entertaining and informative.
I must say that I have sooooo many leaves that I just run them over with the lawn mower, but that year I wanted to actually see how much they would fill up. After that fourth bag, I said screw it and went back to mowing them. However, after watching that, I'm mowing and then raking them up!

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 22:02

Entertaining with some correct and incorrect opinions. I'd recommend this video for the occasional chuckle and the theatrics but there are books out here with better information.

Lloyd

o

Now that was a good watch!
samdelok, thank you so much for posting that video! Definitely entertaining and informative.
I must say that I have sooooo many leaves that I just run them over with the lawn mower, but that year I wanted to actually see how much they would fill up. After that fourth bag, I said screw it and went back to mowing them. However, after watching that, I'm mowing and then raking them up!

o

I just collected 14 bags of oak leaves (small, don't need mowing) and I manged to hide half of them from the wife (she hates the sight of leaf mulch)....

Anyhow my approach from henceforth is to till, get the grass off the top, double-dig, add the leaves, coffee grounds, manure, compost, azomite, bone meal, wood ashes...all at the same time...and then till no more. The plan is to then mulch with the leaves, add compost tea weekly and let it sit for at least 6 months before I plant anything in it.

You can never have enough leaves. I have about 3 large bags that I've filled with water to make leave mold. I heard it takes about 2 years but who cares....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here