Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Bone meal

Posted by jmh8098 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 11:40

I am interested in processing the bone discards into bone meal from my kitchen as well as from wild game (deer, turkey, waterfoul) that I normally bury or throw in the trash. I have done a bit of research on the net and have found a thread or two on here pertaining to boiling or baking the bones to make them britle and then crushing them. What if one were to submerge them in vinegar to soften them till they were like rubber and then run them through a conventional grinder or blender? I'm just learning about the chemistrys involved here but I'm thinking that the vinegar would make the calcium more available. Although it would be acidic could you not nutrilize it to the PH you want with ashes or am I just way off here. It would be greatly beneficial to me if this would work as discarding of a deer carcass is a pain. It would be nice to do something usefull with it to make it more immediatley available to my plants in doing something like this without having to go though the hassles of boiling or baking. I can cut up the bones with a saw, throw them in a 5 gallon pail with vinegar and a few days later throw them in the grinder and then finish in the blender. Then go back to the bucket and mix in the ash till I get the ph I want. I want to hear your thoughts pleases

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Bone meal

I like your idea it would make for a good experiment
All my bones and carcasses deer, varmits, ect.. are hot composted which works very well for me I think the bones when fresh and uncooked are soft and break down rapidly in compost

o

Ewwwwww... :)

Had never thought of this... I mean, when a professional deer processor finishes, what does he do with all the carcasses? I smell a niche market!

Kim

o

Anyone care to weigh in on the chemistry of this expiriment?

o

The chemistry might work, much like the 'wishbone in vinegar and tie it in a knot" school demonstration, but why would you go to that much trouble?

Burying the bones in your compost heap will do the same thing, except slower. Montana composts road-killed elk and deer ... the whole carcass, all 1500 pounds of bull elk minus the antlers ... and within a year nothing is left but a few of the heaviest bones. They sift it out and dump the surviving bones back into the next pile and they continue to decompose.

o

A deer processor close to me gives me his scraps for my dogs. My dogs eat a raw meaty bone diet. Anyway any bones they can't eat, like the legs, I throw them into my fire pit. After a nice fire the bones are very soft and I spread the ash around my yard/gardens. They seem to like it.

The bones from dinner go into the compost tumbler and unless they are fairly large they don't show back up again. If they are larger beef type bones after a couple rounds in the tumbler I just dig them under a plant.

Sandy
tree huggin' soil worshippin' trash pickin' dog lovin' recyclin' woman
please control the pet population, spay or neuter your pet
Mystic(German shepherd rescue), Ginger ( Vizsla boxer (?)mix rescue) and Pixie (JRT and Chihuahua mix)

o

Next to my compost pile I've got an old cast iron hand cranked meat grinder that I use to grind up chicken and fish bones, kitchen scraps and eggshells. I then either mix it with my pile or let it "mingle" with 5 gallons of water set in the sun for a few hrs to warm up (any fat from ground bones floating quickly skim it. I use a foam cup) Then stir and pour around plants and scratch in. I've had no rodent or smell problems.. Skimming the fat is critical or else you'll have flies for a day or two.

Don't know how you'd grind big deer and beef bones and keep it eco-friendly. Other than a sledge hammer and a hardwood stump. I do know that if you look for a hand grinder. They have a number assigned to them. #10,#18,#20 The larger the number the larger and more robust the grinder. Look around a big #40 for a 100$ or less. Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here