Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miracle Grow Garden Soil

Posted by dbtfaith none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 11:53

I'm new to the forum and have a question. This will probably be hilariously funny to those of you which know much more about gardening than me. I live in Central Georgia and unfortunately most of my yard in nothing but Georgia clay. I've often had to go and get loads of good soil to do planting. This year my wife(who knows less about gardening than me suggested that I just go and buy bags of garden soil from store so I bought bags of Miracle Grow gardening soil to put in my new flower bed. I created a 4X8 bed and filled it with the purchased soil and planted flowers. Then a week later...it came to me. Read the instructions. My question will the plants survive as they are.......and or what adjustments should I make ? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miracle Grow Garden Soil

Although Miracle Gro soils don't rate all that high on my scorecard of bagged soils and certainly an expensive option at best, the 'Garden Soil' is perfectly reasonable to use to fill raised beds.

Miracle Gro potting soil has label warning against using for inground planting purposes and I wouldn't recommend the garden soil for container use but perfectly adequate for your raised beds.

In the future you may want to consider just bring in compost or other organic matter to lighten your clay soil and create planting beds. Not the fastest process but far more beneficial to the soil than the MG products and significantly less expensive.

o

Thanks gardenpal. I was about ready to start digging everything up and planting somewhere else. Next time I'll read the label.

o

What did the label actually say that made you thing you would have problems? It's expensive and there are cheaper (and more labor intensive) ways to get good soil, but I would think you could garden in the stuff right out of the bag.

o

I use MG garden soil all of the time for my raised beds. I often mix in a bit of manure/humus and mayber some compost. Works very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here