Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Flour Hurt my Compost?

Posted by Angeline84 2b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 12:14

Hi guys - does anyone have any experience composting flour? I have some flour that got some little buggies in it, so I plan on composting it but am not sure if I should just dump it all in at once or maybe add it throughout when I turn my pile or add a handful here and there over time? I don't want it to mix with the moisture and create some sort of gross compost-dough!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Flour Hurt my Compost?

Flour is good for composting, just mix it in with everything else. You have flour weevils.

o

What about rancid wheat flour or oats?

o

It won't hurt. That's how I get rid of my buggy flour.

Rancid is okay for compost too.

o

If it grew on a plant, it can be composted.

Now, if annpat were here, we could recommend making some bread out of it first, and then getting it all SOGGY with water before putting it in. She positively LOVES that. But alas, haven't seen her for awhile...

o

Shhhh don't tell annpat I also have moldy bread and stale tortilas in my compost...

Thanks for the re-assurance everyone. I plan on turning the pile tonight so I think I'll try to distribute the flour throughout.

o

Ohhh, a couple of sneaks, eh? You know, Angeline, if you were to run outside right now, you might be able to retrieve the bread and tortillas before anything too disgusting happens. Is it dark where you are? Better take a flashlight.
Tox, it hurt my heart (and sickened my stomach) how you capitalized the word 'SOGGY'. I've never known you to be unkind before.

o

The only way flour could be a problem would be if one plunked down several inches of wet flour and allowed that to dry into paste. Small amounts (5 pounds or less in most compost piles) well mixed in will not be a problem.
One easy way to keep the flour weevils from infesting your flour is to keep it in the freezer. FDA rules allow some small amount of insect eggs and feces to be in the flour you buy. They say it is too expensive to eliminate all of that.

o

I'm imagining a compost bin with a giant monstrous dough ball expanding through all the vents and lifting the lid, like The Blob! It would make a hilarious composting video.

Sorry annpat, I didn't know you were listening! heehee

o

funny I mentioned annpat the other day and look who's here in a thread about wet bread and dough... lol

o

I saw you, Jon, dear. You made me sound so manipulative. ;^)

o
RE: hello

nah, Just smart.

o

Kimmsr, I've heard of keeping flour in the freezer before. I think I'll have to give it a try.

It's not much flour I'll be composting - I'm not good with weight, but I'd say it's maybe 4 cups. I also imagined some horrible type of expanding compost dough that would take over everything, but I doubt that will be a problem :)

It's been very rainy here (even some snow), so I haven't had a chance to go put it in there yet. My apologies to Annpat for once again resurrecting the great soggy bread debate!

o

I have composted a whole bag of flour and I mixed it up, not a problem, no goo at all.

o

I so wish I didn't read this thread. I will never use flower again without thinking about the 'allowed' eggs/feces. Gross!!!!! Lol.

o

Hey, if it can't reasonably be zero, at least we can be glad someone is paying attention and limiting the number of insect parts in our food. :-D

o

I just keep telling myself that cooking or baking the flour must kill these things that are in there, right? If the answer is "no", I'd rather be ignorant about it!

o

Of course it does. When the bag is full of them and they fly out when you open it, most of us would rather not bake with it though. :-p

o

Oh no, if I see actual bugs it's not getting used! But the allowable feces and eggs, they'll get killed off.

But your other post was right tox, at least someone is looking out for us and getting the "extras" in there down to a reasonable level.

o

If you really belive that "someone is looking out for us" you are very naive. The Fod And Drug Administration does not have enough inspectors out there to do the job it is mandated to do and relies on the processing companies to "do the right thing" which has been proven, numerous times in the last 25 years to fail in light of profit.

o

Actually I do believe our government is looking out for us. When we have food recalls of some kind, the products tend to have originated in the US or China, not Canada.

So if you'd like to call me naive, go ahead, but I also believe that (as my grandpa always says), you have to eat 60 pounds of dirt before you die! So a SAFE amount and type of non-food stuff in my food does not bother me.

o

Yeah food recalls always happen AFTER the fact. Its like trying to fix a burnt burger...lol

Big brother only cares about control and CASH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here