Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a lawn over poison ivy?

Posted by merissa2014 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 12:51

Hello everyone,
We have just purchased our home this past fall, and the lawn and gardens have been neglected. We live in a rural area, with a backyard lawn, and then natural woods for miles. Along our tree line is wild raspberries and a large patch or poison ivy. I have two small children and it is close to their play structure and our tea house. There is just too much to try to pull, and I don't want to use poison as we have well water, and my children will be playing back there. I just went out there this past weekend and cut all the raspberry bushes down to the dirt, and I cut anything else I found growing above ground level. I did see some sprouts, right at ground level, that I think are poison ivy, but I didn't touch it. It is not climbing poison ivy, it grows to about knee height off the ground. I want to smother the poison ivy with cardboard. So my question is, can I lay the cardboard, wet it, then cover it with dirt and then lay grass seed? Will the grass grow? How thick a layer, and what type, of dirt should I put? Should I put a layer of mulched leaves between dirt and cardboard? I see lots of posts about planting vegetable/flower gardens on cardboard, but nothing for grass. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a lawn over poison ivy?

I can't say grass would thrive on the amount of dirt you would have on the cardboard. Maintaining right level of moisture would be very difficult,not to mention nutrents. If you cut the plants down I take it you aren't highly allergic to the ivy. Perhaps skip the cardboard and plant grass same as you would in the absence of ivy. Mowing and/or weed eating the area will soon kill the ivy.

o
RE: Starting a lawn over poison ivy?

As I wrote on the Organic Gardening forum properly identify what you have because there are several plants that look like Poison Ivy.
Poison Ivy does not smother so that method of control is not a good option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy look a likes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here