Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merissa2014

Starting a lawn over poison ivy?

merissa2014
9 years ago

Hello everyone,
We have just purchased our home this past fall, and the lawn and gardens have been neglected. We live in a rural area, with a backyard lawn, and then natural woods for miles. Along our tree line is wild raspberries and a large patch or poison ivy. I have two small children and it is close to their play structure and our tea house. There is just too much to try to pull, and I don't want to use poison as we have well water, and my children will be playing back there. I just went out there this past weekend and cut all the raspberry bushes down to the dirt, and I cut anything else I found growing above ground level. I did see some sprouts, right at ground level, that I think are poison ivy, but I didn't touch it. It is not climbing poison ivy, it grows to about knee height off the ground. I want to smother the poison ivy with cardboard. So my question is, can I lay the cardboard, wet it, then cover it with dirt and then lay grass seed? Will the grass grow? How thick a layer, and what type, of dirt should I put? Should I put a layer of mulched leaves between dirt and cardboard? I see lots of posts about planting vegetable/flower gardens on cardboard, but nothing for grass. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner