Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilhouseonprairie

Can I plant in manure?

lilhouseonprairie
10 years ago

Each year I plant my Summer veggies into horse manure and it goes beautifully. Usually the manure is 6 months or so old but not necessarily composted. I let it build up on 5 acres or so, then go gather up what I need. It works! And by the end of summer it's totally broken down into the soil and each year the garden gets better. Ringing endorsement for organic matter right there.

But this year I lolly gagged on getting outside to work some beds I planned on using for grapes. When I moved in here the beds (which are lined in cement edging and border a cyclone fence) were overrun with weeds, rescues, and rose bushes as well as some invasive vines. I dug it all out plus the top 8 inches of soil and layered in chicken, goat, and horse manure. I really should have done this BEFORE winter. But I didn't. I'm doing it right now.

The grape vines are schedule to arrive next week. Go me! Procrastination is not my friend.

That's the back story. I know I can grow annual veggies in manure without much issue. But can I plant grape vines in there? Can anyone think of a problem with planting into the aged manure tilled in with my native sandy loam? As the manure breaks down will any portion of that process damage the roots?

Thanks for any and all info!

Comments (3)