Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moldy oldy kitchen scraps

Posted by terratoma 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 13:25

Just discovered that I have about ten coffee cans of kitchen scraps (veggie peelings, fruit skins, coffee grounds; no meat, cheese, bones, grease, etc.) that have been sitting around since November. Somebody stuck them up on a high shelf, out of sight, on the back porch. (She either didn't tell me ... or I forgot!) The contents have all grown "white beards" ... truly oldie moldies. I assume these are safe to add to a compost pile and would be considered a "green". Is this correct?
Also, I've been told that grass clippings are an excellent "green" material that can be added to the "brown" carbon materials. Does this apply to cut grass that has dried for several days?
All suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moldy oldy kitchen scraps

I would throw both the moldy stuff and the grass clippings in there. It shouldn't hurt anything.

I throw basically any and every piece of food scraps (pretty much everything besides bones, meat and oil) into the compost pile I use for vegetables. They seem to be doing fine and the veggies taste great.

I don't usually throw grass clippings into the compost pile because I like to use them as mulch.

o

Yes, green grass that has dried for a few days is still a 'green'. In fact that's one way to stockpile grass clippings when enough browns aren't available.

Moldy food waste is just anxious to decompose and is starting without you. Chuck it in there and help it fulfill its destiny!

o

Those white beards you see on the kitchen scraps is fungi that is working at digesting the stuff. Put it in your compost.
Whether dried grass clippings can be a source of Nitrogen or not depends on how they were dried and the age. Fresh grass clippings are supposed to be about 4 percent N (University of Missouri) but loose N as they dry. Some sources list the C:N ratio of fresh grass clippings as 20:1 and dry grass clippings at 50:1 while some others list the C:N ratio of grass clippings as always being 20:1.

o

"Those white beards you see on the kitchen scraps is fungi that is working at digesting the stuff."

Usually you get various strains of penicillium before you get the other fungi. The white fuzzy stuff that likes to grow over oranges and the like is typically a penicillium. Fine for compost.

This post was edited by TXEB on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 7:44

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here