Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Big Lots has a 120 Gallon Composter for $36!

I just got the ad today, not sure if it is just local or not. Probably not all that great but for that price, I'll check it out this afternoon.

Comments (24)

• JCat83
    12 years ago

Any idea what the dimensions are?

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No all I have is the ad:

120 Gallon Composter
    $36

Compare to :
    $89.99
    You Save:
    60% [$53.99]

Advertised price good Saturday, April 14, through Saturday, April 21, 2012 or while quantities last.

Removable side paddles to gather compost
    Hose hole

SKU: 810009068

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

If you get one, post a pic! I never heard of a composter with paddles. Maybe they screwed up and it's really a kayak.

• robertz6
    12 years ago

When advertisers talk in terms of Gallons over the traditional cubic feet, time to be careful.

For $36 you can buy enough hardware cloth to make one big mesh bin or two smaller ones.

• jrmckins
    12 years ago

I looked on their site. I don't see it.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

My guess is that it is a lot like the Soil Saver bin. I have 2 and there are 2 panels on the bottom that can be removed for harvesting the compost, at least in theory. The compost that is the most done is in the middle on the bottom so you have to plow through some other stuff to get to it. The advantage I have found to this bin over hardware cloth is the contents stay moister which is a huge bonus when living in a dry climate.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

I need to see a photo of that. I can not stand to watch a video called "how to compost" and it is like there are ads first, I would have to watch. I need to know the name of it, so I can look that up. We have a big lots, but I did get the cone today, but have not opened the box yet.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Soil saver bin is a turkey. Filled with vents for bugs to come in and square is bad. I bet the panels fall off all the time, if you are doing serious hot composting in that. It looks very cheaply made. If it just like the soil saver bin.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They were out of them. Said they would have more today. I am going to try to post a link to the ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: big lots

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

I was not able to see the Big Lots bin, but a comment about the Soil Saver: We've been using one at our office building for food waste composting for several years. It is relatively sturdy with a locking lid (we lost lids off the big round Home Composter in high winds). It holds together very well and the sides have never come apart. We do ignore the bottom doors, I think these are generally useless on compost bins anyway. At turning time we dig it out about halfway and gently tip it over to get the rest out. It is sturdy enough to lay on its side
    without fear of breaking it, and the square shape hasn't bothered us any. It's pretty good as plastic bins go. Just my 2 cents.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

For that price, just to have a bin. I would pay that. Compared to over $70 at big box stores. I would feel comfortable paying $40. Plus they have some edging strips that I need for $6 :)

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Here is the same one at Target for double the price

http://www.target.com/p/E-Composter-Compost-Bin/-/A-11169098

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

From the Target pic it looks like the plastic might be a bit thin, but as long as one isn't expecting premium quality it looks like it should work. Certainly can't beat the price, if you want a plastic bin.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

The target bin looks better the soil saver bin.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Well I pulled the trigger and went to Big Lots and bought the bin. I can tell you without even putting it together it is FLIMSY! I would not pay more than $40 for this. Ill update after I put it together

• digitaldan1
    12 years ago

Bought the same com poster a few years ago at BJ's for $40. It did hold up for a couple of years but the plastic was so thin it started tearing in cold weather. If you take good care of it you might get a few years out of it, but the "paddles" are more of a pain than a blessing.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Yeah. I see what you mean. Im going to use it for grass clippings and shredded junk mail. And maybe leaves. Im just going to let everything sit in there for months and see what happens. Maybe Ill use the "paddles" to turn it up once in a while.

Its so thin!! I cant believe it. But it seems better than nothing. I wonder if I should leave the floor in it or take it out so that it can access the earth??

• gin_gin
    12 years ago

I bought that same bin from Home Depot a couple years ago. It's very flimsy and is already falling apart. The top blows open in the wind, but that was easily solved with a bungee cord. Racoons are able to open the side doors, so I had to duct tape them. The other day the wind blew it
    over (it didn't have much in it) and it fell apart. It's going in the garbage this week. I'll put it with the recycling, hopefully they'll take it.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Did you have any problems with the bottom? I know it has holes in it for the soil and to drain but do you think it would be better off with the bottom removed?

• jrmckins
    12 years ago

I went to big lots to check this out. It is really cheap looking but probably fine for what it does. For well under $36 I could build another bin. Must resist.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Personally I'd rather make a pallet or wire mesh bin or just throw stuff in a pile, rather than spend $ on flimsy plastic that has to be thrown out after a year or two. Just my humble opinion.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went back to check it out. They had one assembled and on display. It's a piece of junk. Not buying.

• gin_gin
    12 years ago

Blazeaglory, the only problem I had with the bottom was that it came off. Without the bottom attached it's even flimsier. Save yourself the money & aggravation and skip this one. Mine is sitting at the curb waiting to be put out of it's misery as I type.

• blazeaglory
    12 years ago

Lol! Its already assembled and waiting for clippings.

For more serious composting I will stick to my "pile"