Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil test

Posted by danthenewb ky (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 14:11

I have tested my soil the last three years if you need prior years please let me know here is my current test info. Please explain it to me. P=154 k=127 mg=428 CA=4816 sulfur =36 b=3.5 zn=11.9 mn=378 feel=296 cut=3.3 cec is 15.2 ph=7.2 3 years ago it was 5.8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil test

You should be able to ask the test lab what that means for your soil.

That said, I also suggest you first review the report you received from the lab because some labs automatically include recommendations with the report. Many people miss the info on first glance.

Other labs will provide recommendations on request or for a modest fee.

o

They recommended 100 pounds of nitrogen per acre and 80# p 180pounds k. No recommendation to change the ph

o

The optimal soil pH for most all plants is in the 6.0 to 6.8 range and 7.2 is not all that far off which is why there was nor recommendation to attempt to change it.
The amounts of N, P, and K recommended are really minimal, think of trying to evenly spread that small amount of material over 43,000 square feet since that amounts to about 1/8 pound per square foot.
Lacking from the information is the amount of organic matter that soil has. You want the OM, humus, to be in the 6 to 8 percent range.

o

100 lbs of N is many tons of compost, for example. Which would gain the K as well. Chances are the OP is not gardening an acre.

o

Are you adding lime? That would make the pH go up over time. If you are, don't add lime for a few years and see what happens to the pH.

A decent quality soil report will give optimal ranges for each nutrient so you can see whether yours are too low, too high or just right. I'm surprised they aren't doing this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here