Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay to Compost Hemlock?

Posted by ChickenCoupe 7a (seobonbon@gmail.com) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:04

I have all this stuff growing in the yard. I'm the one trying to compost bermuda. These weeds all could be Wild carrot, Chervil and some might be Hemlock. I even found found cow parsnip and have a ton of bindweed (which I allow to dry out, first). It all needs to go. But I wonder if it's a bad idea to compost hemlock?

My compost will not always be hot. I'm having difficulty maintaining a constant environment. However, I do intended to compost it fully even if it's a couple years down the road. I can say my past composting efforts turned into great soil. I'm assuming it's okay. Just want to be sure.

bon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay to Compost Hemlock?

I can't think of any reason not to compost Hemlock. What have you heard about it? If you're thinking it's toxic to humans, just don't eat the plants or the compost. That may sound flippant, but it's true.

If there's something I'm missing here hopefully someone will chime in.

This post was edited by toxcrusadr on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 14:53

o

Thanks, Tox. I would consider it OK for being thoroughly composted, but I also was the same one considering eating the crap before I knew what it was. Ooooh, lookie! Looks like wild carrots! And I thought the cow parsnip was So pretty! Sometimes, I just want to throw myself into a river.

o

I heard pokeweed was delicious and showed a plant biologist friend a whole bag of leaves I had collected. Her jaw dropped and she told me you have to eat the young shoots when they're just sprouting out of the ground, but if I ate those mature leaves, I'd have diarrhea I wouldn't forget for a long time. :-o

Just don't eat the shrooms, them thangs'll kill ya.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 12:09

I had hemlock sprout up, and read that the toxins do persist long enough that it shouldn't be composted. That was several years ago and so I do not remember where I read it -- might have been a state or university website.

o

tox, funny how it doesn't bother locals? Just never know....

raee- thanks! I need to start a segregated pile asap for such things that bring me doubt.

o

I think of pokeweed as the blowfish of the vegetable world.
Pick it young, boil it and dump the water several times. Stay away from the roots. If you don't do it right, it can kill you.

We eat shrooms all the time in WVA. Just need to go with someone who knows their stuff. (I began to study it one year, but decided to just keep growing things instead.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here