Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Tar paper mulch between raised beds--yes or no??

weedlady
15 years ago

We recently added a new roof over our deck in the process of making a screen porch. After we put the tarpaper over the plywood but before we could get the shingles on, we had a few days of really rainy, windy weather that tore off a couple of the strips of tar paper, tangling them up & making them useless. We re-laid new strips.

As I stood next to my ten l5"-high cedar raised beds (new as of last late summer) and gazed at the grass growing between them (the width of the lawn mower...OR a piece of roofing felt/tarpaper) and hating the thought of sending the paper to a landfill, I wondered...

Although I garden organically, and I instinctively feel tar paper is a nasty no-no, I had planned to scrounge newspaper (we do not subscribe) or cardboard (I've already used up our boxes from moving, using them to line the raised beds, but I expect craigslist folk could come to my rescue there) to lay down between the rows and then hope for a tree-chipping crew to come thru my neighborhood and let me have the chips for free. :-) But those long pieces of tar paper (as well as the bit leftover on the roll that was not needed) are tempting me. We also have a partial roll of that reddish-colored paper that is put down before laying hardwood flooring that I am thinking of using the same way. I do not think I'd have to worry about that, but correct me if I am wrong!

OK--hit me with your thoughts, gang! Yea or nay?

Thanks a bunch! RD

Comments (13)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

"Tarpaper" is used as an underlayment under your shingles because it will help keep moisture out of your house. If you put that stuff on you soil it will do the same thing and it will also keep necessary air exchange of the soil from happening and you will then have an anaerobic soil where disease pathogens could grow better (many disease pathogens really like anaerobic conditions). I would not use "tarpaper" in my garden.

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

Why cover the grass? It's providing root structure and someplace for rain to go and not become run off. I just built my raised beds and put down straw/cardboard/straw on my paths to keep them from becoming mud. This fall I plan on removing all of that and composting it, while I plant a cover crop of clover and comfry that should hold up to light traffic and remain for my path, also providing root structure/OM for to improve drainage.

Of course I have very poor drainage to begin w/. You could have entirely different reasons, but as kimmsr stated I wouldn't use it either.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I instinctively feel tar paper is a nasty no-no

Trust your instincts. ;)

Dave

• weedlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK--the NAYS have it! Off to the landfill (gulp) with the tar paper and down will go the cardboard-newspaper/woodchip mulch that I have used successfully in countless situations in a number of gardens over the last 40 years. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Thanks, all. RD

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

Beyond the impervious nature of it that was mentioned above, I would add that the "tar" in tar paper is asphalt which is loaded with carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Not particularly dangerous up on the roof but not something you should put in the garden.

Leftover building materials, I offer on Craigslist or Freecycle. It's surprising what people will take sometimes. Your scraps would be great for a doghouse, for example.

• rdak
    14 years ago

I think it would be horrible to use as a mulch. Tar equals no air and water exchange.

• Debbie Sane
    7 years ago

Darn, I was hoping it could be used- that last statement no air and water exchange sealed its date for me.

I'm looking for something to put down between septic Rows that will carry water away. The water will be from my container garden built above septic field.

Any ideas?

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

That thick red paper used under floors is also treated to be water resistant. It has an Alum-rosin sizing, and may also have a polyurethane coating.

To carry water away? A french drain?

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

I'm not clear on what the goal is here. Are you trying to carry away water from the septic drainfield or from the container garden?

• Debbie Sane
    7 years ago

Container garden and any excess when it rains. I'm wanting to build a garden space that sits above drainfield. It will need to have its water diverted away from drainfield area.

That's where tar paper would have come in. I would have placed it on the 3 foot paths between the septic lines.

There is a natural slope in the yard and I will use that to bring water to opposite side of yard and create a catchment area- maybe, or use it, the water, in some other way.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

I'm no expert on septic tanks but it seems like there shouldn't be an awful lot of excess water coming out of the containers, compared to the amount of water used and discharged by an average house. Are you sure it's really necessary to convey all your drainage away?

• Debbie Sane
    7 years ago

I have slight slope so I'm thinking of just using the land and letting it carry it just past the drain field area. Just to be safe.