Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcnyc_gw

How much to pay for mulch?

jmcnyc
10 years ago

I had 3 yards of dyed black mulch delivered to my driveway last year for $179. Is this a fair price? What are my other options to get decent mulch? I live in central NJ.

Comments (11)

• west9491
    10 years ago

yikes, i was trying to find a cheaper alternative than the $40 for a dump bed load, dumped at my house.

• jmcnyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where do you find your source? Is Craigslist a good option? I am getting it from a nursery in town.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You would never know exactly what you were getting from craigslist....could be anything and with who knows what kind of contamination - pernicious weeds, residual pesticides, general junk and debris, etc. I'd always want to purchase from a known source :-)

Prices will differ from location to location but agree the $60 per yard delivered cost seems excessively high. Would be less than half that in my area. Look online or in yellow pages for bulk soil providers or landscape supply outfits. Or organizations that provide tree trimming services will often dump wood chips for free if in your neighborhood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asplundh wood chips

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

Some utilities have a list for free chips if you're a customer.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

I have not had much success getting wood chips from the utility companies or their tree cutters, but the local tree services have been more than happy to unload a truckload or 5 for me.
    Just received a price list from one of our local landscape suppliers that tells me the price of wood chips is $22.00 per cubic yard plus a delivery charge depending on mileage. Dyed chips are $5.00 per cubic yard more.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

I've gotten two truckloads totaling about 20 yards from a tree trimming company for free. It was nice mulch, too, just some small branches here and there I picked out.

• fishermanlawn
    10 years ago

I deal with mulch everyday and I use nothing but double ground hard wood bark or pine bark mulch.. black dyed mulch is 26.00 a yard you pick up. I will not use wood chips. I really don't consider wood chips, ground up pallets, or ground up tires as mulch. Those may make your yard pretty but aren't doing what mulch should be doing retaining the most moisture and conditioning the soil. So if you can get double ground bark mulch I would suggest that you use it instead. As for the price here in the south you can get a yard of mulch bought delivered and spread for about $50.00. Hope this helps.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Ummm...wood chips do exactly the same thing as any ground up bark mulch does. They assist in weed suppression, they insulate soil and reduce evaporation and as they decompose over time - just like bark mulch does - they contribute nutrients and improve the soil. They are virtually the same thing as bark mulch except they include more water absorbent wood and perhaps even some green material from foliage or needles.

Using ground up pallets may have legitimate concerns as that wood is often treated, depending on where the pallets originate and what they have been supporting. And mulch from recycled tires has no redeeming qualities at all. But wood chips are a recognized, acceptable and efficient mulch product and are even recommended for many garden purposes over bark mulch by horticultural scientists.

Here is a link that might be useful: the value of wood chips as mulch

• darth_weeder
    10 years ago

google "mulch delivery New Jersey" and you will get many web sites to choose and compare.
    I found many with prices from 21 to 40 dollars a yard for black dyed mulch with varying charges for delivery.
    Pick the one that is best for your needs.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I live in an area where there are several log home builders who have shredded bark to dispose of. They give it away free altho one has to arrange and pay for trucking. This depends on how far it needs to be trucked but I get a 15 cubic yard dump truck load for $50. IMO it's a great price.

I might not have all the info but I don't think I'd like to use dyed mulch.

• fishermanlawn
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info gardengal48. I learn something new everyday. Although most of my clients prefer looks over function. I personally will not use pallets or tires. As for dyed mulch if you get it from a trusted dealer the dye is biodegradable. And I've been told that it helps with the ph of the soil but I don't know if it does.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!