Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke3026

Compost tumbler at Costco

luke3026
14 years ago

Costco is selling the composter linked below for $99 this week. Anyone out there using this one? They had one set up and it seems solidly constructed. 75 gallon size

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifetime 75 gallon compost tumbler

Comments (24)

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. Going to get one today, have to buy a membership but it is still a great deal. I've been looking for a long time and prices were just a little too high. Thanks again.

Good gardening, Mary

• luke3026
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can you post back once you get it put together? I might want to get one myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• robertz6
    14 years ago

My $350 tumbler lasted three years before the center bar rusted thru. But I only used it for 18 months before switching to an easier method.

I now have seven mesh bins made of hardware cloth, the last time the material cost about $15. They hold 2.5 times my tumbler volume, and I find them easier to work with. I am six feet in height; and find using a round mesh bin 24" high to be less strain on my back then turning a crank every day.

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

I have my composter put together, my husband put it together yesterday afternoon. I'm going to fill it today. It is big, much bigger than the models that they sell to put on your porch that sell for close to $400. You do need a drill and some basic tools to put it together. Two people are required at some points of construction, to hold things in place while screws are inserted or to slide things together. It took around 2 1/2 to 3 hrs and I spent around 10-15 minutes helping. Read the instructions carefully and follow them.

It seems heavy duty, I'm very excited. I will use it year round but I've really been looking for something that I can keep on my porch during the winter so that I can keep composting. I think this is going to work great.

Good gardening, Mary

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

My tumbler is full, not crammed full but nicely, loosely full. Put in a mix of shredded leaves, green and browned grass clippings. There is also a small amount of pine needles that got mulched by the mower. Added a potfull of garden soil, some used seed starter mix, a bucket full of fruit and veg peelings from the kitchen and gallon size ziploc bag of home made organic fertilizer (made using a recipe in the original SFG book) put together last year. Added enough water to make it damp but not soggy,(around 6-7 gallons) the mixture started out very dry. I will continue adding kitchen scraps, its just outside my kitchen door.

The tumbler turned very easily even after it was full, still feels very light, I'm sure it will get heavier as things start to break down. The locking pin slips very easily to lock the barrel while turning but I did not find it to be a problem once I realized and paid a little more attention. Its just the begining, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Mary

• troyfrazier
    14 years ago

Interesting, I might have to look into something like that.

• californian
    14 years ago

Saw several ads from people who bought a tumbler and later realized it was a waste of money selling them cheap on Craigslist.

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

Luke,

Post and let me know if you decided to get one or not. If you do get one let me know what you think of it after you get it put together and what you fill it with.

Good gardening, Mary

• luke3026
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've pretty much decided against it for now. While $99 is pretty cheap for a tumbler, it's still a bit more than I can spend on a composter for now. I ended up getting a cheap Earth Machine through my county recycling center. Later this summer, I think I'm going to build a 3 bin compost bin way back in the yard. But for now, the EM will have to do.

• lowraine
    14 years ago

Robert, would you explain how you put together your mesh bins?

• robertz6
    14 years ago

Luke, good point about posting it back to the seller if it is by mail order. It took me three hours to assemble it. No way to tell how long it would take to disassemble it AND get it back in the box. Way longer than three hours. Of course the refund would not include the $50 s&h charged when I received the unit.

Lowraine:

I use 1/2" or 1/4" mesh hardware cloth; 24" or 30" wide, and 13' long. Five minutes of wiring the ends together and its about 4 foot diameter and 24" or 30" high. The last piece I had cut ran about $15 at a good hardware store. Notice I wrote 'good' not 'big'. If they don't cut rolls for you, the hardware store is not 'good'.

Hardware cloth is more sturdy than chicken wire, and the mesh is available in different sizes. Four feet in diameter is a very good choice; those using a lot of sawdust might be better suited to a three foot diameter; those using big wood chips might be better off with a five foot diameter (and high as well).

These mesh bins hold more than tumblers, are easier to turn (for me at least), hold smelly fish odors better IMHO, and are less noticeable in the back yard.

Overlap the two ends an inch or so and put three pieces of wire thru the pieces to secure it. Use a piece of copper or alum wire, paperclips, or most anything.

• tn_gardening
    14 years ago

I've always gone with the lazy pile method. Pretty decent results.

This year, I'm upgrading to the homemade trash can tumbler. I bought a cheap plastic can and drilled holes in it. I secured the lid with bungee cords (also drilled a couple holes in the lid to run some wire to fasten).

It's not perfectly round, so it rolls a little funny, but it seems to be doing the job. It doesn't have an access door, so I'll still be doing the pile thing.

For a lazy composter, this is a big step.

• luke3026
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started with the trash can tumbler a couple months ago. But I found that once the can (a cheap 32 gal. Rubbermaid) was 1/3 full, it became too heavy to move around or roll. Also mine had a super-flimsy lid that, even with 2 strong bungee cords on it, would still leak material on the ground.

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

I'm still enjoying my new tumbler. It is just outside my kitchen door so it is really easy to get kitchen scraps into it on a regular basis. It has a very large opening so it was very easy for my husband to empty the mower bag into it. It is very easy to spin, it was not being easy for me to get the pile turned. It has started heating up nicely, steam coming up out of it when opened. So far it seems like it will work well for me.

Good gardening, Mary

• kkinal
    14 years ago

I got the tumbler at Costco also-- I love it! I had a hard time too turning down into my old pile, but this is so easy. I've looked at them before, but they were so expensive-- so I couldn't pass up $99--and it is really good quality.

• meagain1
    14 years ago

Sweet. Can anyone hook me up with the Costco item number on this? Should be on the box somewhere.

I was recently there and didn't see them. When looking inside their vinyl shed display, I caught a glimpse of it buried in there. I fear they are out of stock but maybe I can snag the display.

• meagain1
    14 years ago

My Costco just has the display left. They said it's a deleted item so get them while you can folks. I figure even if it happens to be scratched up a bit, etc - having it put together might be a bonus considering what I'm reading about the time involved to assemble.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

In the past, I've tried the Can O' Worms (forgot about the worms and they dried out) and then had DH build bigger worm bins. They worked well last summer. However, they are sort of unsightly and heavy for me. I also forgot to free the worms before winter and I don't want to imagine what happened to these poor guys. I have trapped and killed my last red wiggler (I hope).

I'm convinced I can be successful with a tumbler.

THANKS for the info Mary!!

I bought one of these today - 5/28/10- $99 at Costco.

I'm hoping I can assemble it myself (a chick) and have hubby do the 15 minutes of helping.

I can imagine the eye rolls I'll receive for buying something that could take him three hours to assemble. We have two young kids, so three hours could easily become six.

Happy Gardening -

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

Hi austinnhanasmom,
    Are you a fan of "FLASHFORWARD" the TV series ???

I have got to hurry up and get my plants in the ground, I just lost an entire month ;-)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

I bought this model at BJ's about a month ago. Husband put it together last night -- it did take a few hours and he's pretty good with stuff like that.

Now I have to figure out what to put in it and how much. Checked the FAQs to see what is good and not good, but have many questions like how much water, etc. Does anyone know where I can get basic instructions (really basic, like put in a gallon of water, a gallon of soil, etc.) or do I just play it by ear and start with kitchen scraps, some leaves and weeds, water, etc?

• andreaz6wv
    13 years ago

I got one of these this week at Sam's Club. It's a 65 gallon, but that's ok for me. It did take me a little longer getting it together. I have a large sliding door, so I was able to put together and then take it outside, which was nice.
    I just filled it with some stuff, and spinned it a few times. We'll see how it goes.
    I like it so far...

Andrea

• poaky1
    13 years ago

Where's Luke3026? (the original poster) How did the tumbler do? Is it still working? It's been a year or two, hope it's better than my Lowes tumbler, they have them at home depot too, they are tan and brown plastic. Not very sturdy, my axle broke after a couple months,it was good for approx 20 turns, the lid was hard to put back on if it was full.

• lyoshka
    11 years ago

I'd love a follow up, as well... from anyone with these Costco tumblers. I'm fairly certain I"ll buy one when they have them again next Feb-March , so some weathered reviews would be great!

• lyoshka
    11 years ago

I'd love a follow up, as well... from anyone with these Costco tumblers. I'm fairly certain I"ll buy one when they have them again next Feb-March , so some weathered reviews would be great!