Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost pile problem

Posted by ramsay22 TN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 16:07

Several years ago I made simple compost pile structures using fencing on 3 sides with open fronts for adding and turning materials. The pile sits on the ground. There are a lot of trees in my yard and I find that small feeder roots keep invading my pile making it difficult to turn and harvest the composting materials. Any suggestions as to how to prevent the roots from getting into the pile? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost pile problem

Move the compost pile further away from those trees. Those tree roots are looking for a source of nutrients and the compost pile is a very good one so the presence of tree roots in your compost says you have good compost.

o

I have the same problem and I have nowhere to put it away from the trees. I'm wondering if I should put a bottom on the bins and add layers of dirt as I add organic matter? That would be difficult to do too, because I don't have any spare dirt.

o

All of my compost piles(5) are in the woods. I used to have the same tree root issue but solved the problem by placing a sheet of plastic under the piles.

o

Yep, plastic would do it. It may make it more difficult for excess water to drain out and worms to come in, but it shouldn't be too bad. Mound up the soil an inch or two before laying down the plastic to help the drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here