Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How About Composting Sea Shells?

Posted by bogey123 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 16:29

I purchased a few bags of compost to top dress my rose garden with and the stuff had bits of sea shells in it. The product is called "Coast of Maine".

I would think it would take a long time to break them down in a pile but was curious to know if anyone had a view on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How About Composting Sea Shells?

In a hot pile, they can be composted. Of course, crushing first helps. They may act as a slow liming agent if pieces remain intact- taking quite a long time to work.

I have composted heavy clam shells, lobster shells, steamahs, shrimp shells, and a variety of other bivalves and oceanic insects. Heavy clam shells take longest, lobster, crab, and shrimp shells disintegrate quickly.

o

I was at the garden center today and saw that they had bags of lobster compost which contained quantities of lobster shells amongst other things.

In the bag of compost I mentioned earlier the shells were all broken up.

o

Mussels and oysters stay around a long time. But I think they're quite decorative around the garden.

o

• Posted by kandm 8b gulf coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 18:29

Whenever I go to a local oyster bar I always ask for extra shells they have laying around. I usually get about 5 take out boxes packed full. I go home, boil, bleach soak, rinse and decorate the garden!

o

I would not go to extra effort to add lots of shells to my home compost bin but I'm sure that compost comming from a facility that takes the waste off of a seafood processing would have lots of shells in it. Not a bad thing especially if you need some extra calcium or lime in your garden anyway.

Some kinds of shells will definitely take a long time to compost since they are not so much organic anymore but mineralized and instead of composting, they are really just slowly dissolving.

Here is a link that might be useful: My compost

o

Lots of things take a long time to decompose, but so what? You've got an eternity to make compost. I have tons of shells in my garden that came with my seaweed. If their whiteness offends me, and sometimes it does, I toss a trowel full of soil over them.

Lobster shells, though, get a bad rap. They do not take as long to break down as people suppose they might.

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 13:25

What I've found is that if they're right in the pile, crab shells don't take long (a couple seasons) to become crumbly, lobster shells next, oyster shells a long time after, and mussel shells are better for decorating the beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here