Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baking soil to remove gnats

Posted by battery841 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 18:21

I picked up some Miracle-Gro potting soil today for some green beans. After the purchase, I went on Amazon to look at reviews and a lot of people were complaining about gnats. Someone suggested baking the soil at 350 degrees before using which should get rid of any gnats or larvae. Does anyone here have comments about that?

Would you consider the Miracle Gro potting mix (http://tinyurl.com/2dcemkd) to be a good option for the green beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baking soil to remove gnats

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:41

Well one thing about complaints on the internet is that alot of people like to complain. IMO internet reviews aren't always balanced.

If you're overly concerned about gnats then go ahead and bake it. But I assume they're going to be outdoors anyways so you probably don't need to.

o
RE: Baking soil to remove gnats

Baking any soil will result in a stench that you will not like that can last for a fairly long time. Many potting soils will have the eggs that can hatch into these Fungus Gnats, if the soil is kept too moist, too long. To keep Fungus Gnats from hatching out water only as necessary so the top inch is kept fairly dry most of the time. Water the plants growing in this soil only when the soil is dry after you insert your index finger in to the first knuckle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here